Everyone knows by now that sitting for long periods is worse than smoking, and with many office workers sitting for an average of 9-hours a day it’s a great idea to change to a stand-up desk. Not only does this switch improve the overall wellbeing of the workplace, but it also increases productivity at work.
As you look into changing to a stand-up desk, you’re bound to have some questions, such as how much do they cost and how can I ensure that my staff will use them? In this post, we’re going to look at some tips to help you choose the best desk, and answer these questions.
7 Tips for Selecting the Best Stand up Desk for Your Office
- Alternate Standing and Sitting: It’s important to note that standing all day isn’t ideal either; so, the best choice to alleviate this problem is to change positions intermittently throughout the day. You and your staff can do this by alternating standing and sitting or perching at a stool height counter. The perfect person in the office for a stand-up desk is someone who’s tied to a phone or computer all day at their desk where it’s hard to change positions.
- Noise: Be aware that some adjustable stand-up desks are loud when you change the height. If you’re near someone who might be inconvenienced by the noise you need to discuss it with them first. If it’s for your home, be aware the same applies to whomever you live with.
- Power Outlet: If you choose a stand-up desk that needs power, make sure you have access to electricity.
- Leg Fatigue: A common complaint with a stand-up desk is that users get tired of standing and their legs hurt. Some strategies to help with this are adding a riser to support one foot, wearing supportive shoes, or to slowly build up your tolerance by increasing standing time in increments.
- Weight Restrictions: Each stand up desk has weight restrictions so make sure you weigh your equipment before buying one to make sure the desk can handle the weight.
- Easy Programmability: Some stand up desk models can be programmed to different settings, so you can set the proper ergonomics each time you use it. If this is important to you, make sure you look for programmability options.
- Functionality: Before you buy a stand-up desk make sure you factor in if the aesthetic will fit within the office environment and consider if the desk will accommodate privacy screens, and lighting or tool rails.
If you want to transform your business or home office with a stand-up desk for you and your employees, or otherwise order a few as a trial, we hope our tips for selecting the best stand up desks for office was helpful. At EasyErgo we can design highly-quality standing desks based on your needs. Our pricing is also very affordable. Reach out today to get started!