Are Standing Desks Really that Great?
We believe that everyone should have access to a healthy work environment, which is why we strive to offer some of the most competitive pricing in the industry for the best standing desks. Employers have a responsibility to ensure their employees are happy, healthy and productive. Help increase efficiency and overall health by offering RISE desks to your employees. We have designed one of the best standing desks on the market.
What happens to your body when sit for too long?
According to Annals of Internal Medicine, there is mounting evidence to support that being sedentary for long periods of time can lead to obesity, chronic disease, diabetes, cardiovascular illnesses, and premature death. We believe that investing in the best standing desk can reduce the risk of health issues caused by excessive sitting. According to Beaumont.org, here are some of the things you might experience when you sit for a long time:
- When the blood flow slows down, fatty acids build up in the blood vessels, potentially leading to heart disease.
- Your body’s ability to process fats is decreased. Lipoprotein lipase is an important enzyme your body produces to break down fat in your blood. When you sit, your body’s production of lipoprotein lipase drops by about 90 percent, which makes it very difficult for your body to use fat. When your body doesn’t use fat, it gets stored.
- Sitting can lead to insulin resistance, which can cause type 2 diabetes and obesity, two risk factors for heart disease.
- When you regularly sit for extended periods of time, your bones get weaker, and your entire skeletal system can experience negative effects, including pain, bone spurs, inflammation, and other symptoms.
- When you don’t use your muscles, they can lose strength and the ability to support other body systems.
- It can affect your brain. Exercise triggers the production of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which grows neurons in the brain. It also helps fight the effects of cortisol (the stress hormone). When supplies of BDNF decrease, cortisol increases, which leads to increased stress. Blood flow to the brain also slows when you’re sedentary, which reduces the amount of oxygen your brain receives.
The benefits of a standing desk
Aside from the fact that standing desks are all the rage right now, there are many health benefits to using them at work. A 2016 Harvard Medical School publication says that standing for three hours burns 24 more calories versus sitting. So why wouldn’t you stand? After eating, the best standing desks also help blood sugar levels to normalize faster than if you sit immediately following a meal.
EasyErgo’s RISE Desk is our core office standing desk. Built on a three-stage, dual-motor adjustable-height base, our RISE standing desk is our most robust model - it's perfectly suited for daily office use. We believe we have one of the most affordable and best standing desks available. Order yours today!